Get Your Bursary
Finished your internship and ready for your $1000?
SCiP bursaries are provided by the Government of Alberta. To meet their requirements and receive your bursary, you must send us three documents.
- End of Internship Declaration – completed by the your internship supervisor
- Bursary Payment Request – completed by you
- Proof of Enrolment – indicating that you were registered in and attending at least one class at one of the qualifying schools at some point during the academic year in which you started your internship (August 1st – July 31st).
International students only: In addition to the three documents listed above, please provide a high-quality color photocopy of your valid student visa.
For all the details on these documents, keep scrolling!
Please email, mail or drop off your documents to Volunteer Alberta:
10080 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 1V9
End of Internship Declaration
- Your organization uses this document to indicate the tasks that you completed in your internship and the dates of your internship.
- This document certifies that you completed a SCiP-approved internship with a nonprofit organization, signed in ink by your internship supervisor.
Bursary Payment Request
- This payment form allows the Government of Alberta to collect your information in order to pay you your bursary. You must fill in all fields and the document must be signed in ink.
Please note: your Alberta Student Number is not the student ID number issued by your post-secondary institution. Your Alberta Student Number was issued by the Government of Alberta when you first registered in an Alberta school at any level. Click here to look up your Alberta Student Number.
Applications with incorrect Alberta Student Numbers are returned by the Government of Alberta to Volunteer Alberta for correction, delaying receipt of bursary.
Proof of Enrolment
Proof of enrolment must be an original document for the academic year in which your internship began (August 1st – July 31st). For example, if you started your internship in May 2014, you would provide proof of enrolment for the academic year of Fall 2013/Winter 2014.
Do not print it embedded in a webpage or take a screenshot or photograph of it. If you do this, it will not be considered an original and the Government of Alberta will not accept it.
The Government of Alberta accepts the following original documents as proof of enrolment:
- Proof of Enrolment, Proof of Registration, or Confirmation of Registration – Your school’s registrar can provide you with this one page document that simply shows that you are a registered student
- Statement of Results
- Unofficial or Official Transcript
- A letter from your registrar indicating your enrolment date
- Other document that includes your name, the name of the institution, your student number from the institution and the relevant academic information and dates.
Note: Some schools may provide the above documents as .pdfs available through your online account. This electronic document will be accepted as an original only if it is downloaded and emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or printed and mailed to:
The Government of Alberta does NOT accept the following documents as proof of enrolment:
- Class schedules
- Student ID cards
- Tuition receipts
- Post-secondary tax forms
- Letters of acceptance
- Web page printouts
- Any photographed documents
When will I receive my bursary?
Applications for bursaries are processed by the Government of Alberta twice a month. Volunteer Alberta will be submitting completed bursary applications to the Government of Alberta on the following days:
January 29, 2016
February 12, 2016
February 26, 2016
March 11, 2016
March 25. 2016
April 15, 2016
April 29, 2016
May 13, 2016
May 27, 2016
June 10, 2016
June 24, 2016
July 15, 2016
July 29, 2016
August 12, 2016
August 26, 2016
September 16, 2016
September 30, 2016
October 14, 2016
October 28, 2016
November 10, 2016
November 25, 2016
December 16, 2016
Volunteer Alberta works to ensure that all documents are processed and submitted in a timely manner. In addition to the waiting period before each monthly submission, please expect to wait up to 6 weeks from the time of submission to the Government of Alberta to receive your bursary.